Where do I start?!
Pray for direction! Trust the Lord to lead you daily! Then, check out the following:
- hslda.org The Home School Legal Defense Association website, detailing the legal requirements for homeschooling or home education in your state.
- What Your Child Needs to Know When by Robin Sampson,
An inspiring and encouraging read while you’re seeking God for direction for homeschooling.
What’s my homeschooling style?
Charlotte Mason websites and resources:
- A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola
- For the Children’s Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay
- A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison,
Classical style websites and resources:
- Teaching the Trivium by Harvey Bluedorn
- The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer
Literature-based home education:(This often overlaps with other styles such as Classical and Charlotte Mason. Also, while others may not be considered ‘Literature-based,’ most curricula include their own list of recommended literature.)
Traditional style websites and resources:
Delight-Centered/Delight-Directed/Unschooling websites and resources:
- The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith
Other styles and approaches:*
- tjed.org , A Thomas Jefferson Educaton by Oliver DeMille (Leadership-based education)
- heartofwisdom.com/homeschoollinks/heart-of-wisdom-approach-an-overview/ (Bible-based education, with added emphasis on Bible study)
- The Heart of Wisdom: Bible-based Homeschooling by Robin Sampson
*Eclectic style homeschooling simply combines any of the various styles above; most people fit into this category.
What curriculum should I use?
- cathyduffyreviews.com: A comprehensive list of all (or nearly all) home education curricula available, with attention to teaching/learning styles, time required, and extent of parent involvement.
- 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy
- homeschoolreviews.com: Parents’ reviews on many curricula, organized by category and subject
- groups.yahoo.com: Many curricula have discussion groups here; membership required. Very helpful when trying to decide which is best for your family. Search groups for the name of the curriculum, or homeschooling style.
Alright, I’ve decided on my curriculum; Where can I buy it?
- christianbook.com Wide selection, reliable shipping.
- rainbowresource.com Free economy shipping for orders above $50
- rocksolidinc.com $4.95 shipping/Free shipping for orders above $95
- amazon.com* Be sure to check out used copies; you can also re-sell yours here.
- ebay.com* Buy and re-sell used curricula here.
- homeschoolbuyerscoop.com Free membership; discounts depend on how many buyers participate. Good deals!
- abebooks.com* Hard-to-find books and past editions of textbooks found here
- groups.yahoo.com* Many homeschooling materials can be bought and sold used at various yahoo email groups. Yahoo membership required. You can also join yahoo groups for support, Q&A, and tips for using many curricula.
- There are many resale groups on Facebook. Start with Homeschool Curriculum Marketplace. (membership required)
*Resource for used books
What about behavior?
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp
- Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Stephen, and Grace Mally
Sometimes the best advice comes from a fellow mom who’s been there.
- Consider joining a homeschool co- op (cooperative) in your area. This is not for everyone, but it can be an invaluable resource and support. A listing of co-ops and support groups, organized by states, can be found here.
- A Facebook group can also be a potential source of support for a homeschooler.
How about a list of good books to read to/with my children?
- Honey for a Child’s Heart by Gladys Hunt; A great reference for quality reading from preschool years through age 12
Note: most curriculum companies include lists of recommended literature
How can I organize my day?
- lifeofahomeschoolmom.com (a great printable binder combining homeschool and home)
- homeschool-planner.com (flexible online planner)
- titus2.com (detailed written schedule for each family member)
Questions? Contact me!